Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lost at the Cemetery

Went out for a ride today and decide to ride around Sherwood and explore the city. That was a great idea and my explorations brought me to the base of a road I had always wanted to see where it lead. Not seeing much traffic I headed up. What a beautiful climb-no traffic--heavily wooded not super steep-switchbacks.

As I went up it just all got better. But I had no idea where I was. I stopped a mother walking with her baby and one car and asked where the road went and thought it went where I wanted--so I kept going up and up. Suddenly at the top of Chehalem mountain I stopped and looked around and realized I had no idea which road to take down from the top.

I had a map--but unfortunately it was for the city of Tigard and so no help. Asked one man but he was from Salem and very little idea where he was. Stopped at Gibbs Cemetery--many very old tombstones some with the people dying in the 1890's. Called Arnie--who had no map so he also had no idea where I was.

But all was not lost--I had bought a small compass to have on my bike and realized that the road I was heading on was going south and west and I needed to go NE. So I pointed my bike NE and just road in that direction. Soon enought things looked a little familiar and I found the road I was looking for. Headed down a steep and wonderful descent and then back home.

I am anxious to ride this loop again--what an absolutely beautiful climb.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that compass will be useful! I might even get one!

    ReplyDelete