Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Siletz River Highway

Jeri, who is already in condition to start our tour, rode up to Hwy. 229, the Siletz River Highway, this morning and met me at the old Kernville Steak & Seafood House, and we rode out about 10 miles on the Siletrz River Highway.  It was a bit cold, but a beautiful morning for a ride.  We turned around at the 10 mile mark and returned to the restaurant parking lot.  There is major highway construction on Hwy. 101 where a new bridge is being built, and it really is not safe for cyclists, so I drove Jeri to Salishan and left her there to ride her bike back to Newport.  What this means is Jeri rode about 60 miles today and I rode 20.  There is probably something wrong with this "picture"; I think I better do a longer ride tomorrow!

For some reason I had never ridden along the Siletz before even though it is fairly close to my house.  It is a beautiful ride and one I plan to start doing much more frequently.  The road does have some traffic, and no shoulder, but it did seem pretty safe.  This may become my new favorite practice route!

No comments:

Post a Comment