Monday, February 8, 2010

Why We're Riding Across the US and How We'll Accomplish It

It all started about 11 years ago when my friend Dana said she would like to bike across the US and wanted my husband and me to drive a support vehicle.  Her thought was to celebrate the Millenium.  For a lot of reasons Dana's dream never came to fruition.  In late November 2009 I was "googling" bike rides and came across a cross country tour for women; I emailed a "link" to Dana and, half joking, suggested she do it.  It took no time for Dana to reply to my email and suggest we do it together, but perhaps by forming our own group.  I'm really not sure why, as I am a fairly novice cyclist, but I said "OK".  At the time I was riding a hybrid, which I like, but there was no way I was going to ride that (heavy) bike across the US.  So, my first move was to order, with Dana's help, a new bike.  I am now the proud owner of a beautiful yellow Trek Madone 6.5 that I can pick up with 1 finger!  It rides like a dream, and is so FAST!  Somehow I think I will be able to sail across the Rockies!  Yes, I know it won't be that easy!  I also know I'm 63 years old which doesn't make this whole adventure any easier.  On days I can't ride I am doing Yoga, spinning classes and weights; at least, that's the idea - recent vacations and a cold greatly interfered with my training plans.  I did manage to get a private Yoga class while vacationing in Mexico from my friend, Yoga instructor extraordinaire, Gayna Uransky; Gayna focused on what I need to do to keep my muscles well stretched on a long bike ride (3000+ miles is a long bike ride!).

No comments:

Post a Comment