Sunday, September 5, 2010

CROSSING THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE

WOW!!! I have ridden over the Rockies before but have never been above 11,000 feet before on a bike. After spending so much time above 8000 feet the breathing was never a problem--but it was a hard climb. 10 miles of steady 6-7% grade.
Mom caught up with me about 2/3 of the way up--there were lots of places to pull over. After I left her I stopped her again when she passed me since I was less than 15 minutes to the summit I asked her to wait there.
We got the cats out to pose at the summit. They enjoyed it!!! They also have become accustomed to the high altitude. Mom and I rode the tram to the top of the mountain for the spectacular view that seemed to go forever in every direction.
Seems like a milestone on the ride has been passed.
After a very fast descent into Salida I walked over to look at the Arkansas River where we were camped and had a shock when the river was flowing east. Startled me at first.
Today's ride was easy and amazing beautiful. Heading south-east we followed the Arkansas River through some Canyons then left the river bed but had the Sangre De Cristo Mountains on our right shoulder. Peak after Peak over 13K on our way into Westcliff. Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment