Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Westcliffe to Florence, CO and into Colorado Springs

Yesterday started out as a fairly easy ride.  We had to climb out of Westcliffe, but the climb was an easy one, with the wind at our backs.  The descent started out great, but got harder as the grade increased to 8% and the wind picked up (by now more of a cross wind with strong gusts).  As we got closer to Wetmore, CO where we turned north towards Florence, CO the winds intensified and were now either cross or headwinds.  The traffic also increased (this was the last day of a 3 day holiday weekend).  It actually became difficult to keep the bikes upright and out of traffic the wind was blowing so hard.  Lisa, our strongest and probably most experienced rider, said this was the most dangerous day she ever spent on a bike.  I was lucky that about 4 miles from the end of the ride Fran caught up to me in her motorhome and asked if I was ready to call it a day; I was!  At one point I was in "granny gear" and only going 4 mph into a headwind - with only 4 miles to go I figured I would take advantage of a motor vehicle to get me into Florence.  Besides, Fran was picking us up anyway to drive us to Colorado Springs where we were starting 6 days of rest (more than originally planned, but we are ahead of schedule.

I must say that the first 2/3 of yesterdays ride was really beautiful.  We rode through ranch land to the top of the summit then descended into rock walled canyons.  It was only when the traffic and wind picked up that the ride lost it's charm.

View on descent from what I think is Wet Mountain
We will resume our riding next Monday, September 13.  I am spending my rest days with my daughter and granddaughters in Castle Rock, CO.  Today Dana, Lisa and Fran took the cog railway up to the top of Pike's Peak (I was there in July so did not accompany them).  Tomorrow, Dana heads for Texas to visit her grandson and Lisa heads home to Oregon for a few days.  Fran is staying in Colorado Springs and plans to get massages and see some of  "the Springs".

We have finished climbing high mountains and will have very flat landscape for several days across eastern Colorado and Kansas.  Our biggest challenge will probably be the wind, unless we get lucky and have a tail wind the entire stretch (probably too much to ask for!)

No comments:

Post a Comment