Sunday, October 17, 2010

Heading towards the End

I have not posted for a few days-just enjoying Nancy's excellent posts. But since I have service tonite and she does not--here goes.

I reflect on the animals I have seen: Deer, Yellow-Bellied Marmots, Fox, Ground Hogs, Antelopes, Turtles, Rabbits, Prairie Dogs, chipmunks, and of course more squirrels than you could possible imagine.

The terrain has gone from long climbs out west, to flat western kansas, then the rolling hills of eastern Kansas/western missouri to the oh so steep hills of missouri, illinois, kentucky and western virginia. We are now back to gentler slopes in eastern Virginia.

The people have also changed. Voted the friendliest drivers-Kentucky. So much back country. The Appalachians are truly amazing and a very foreign place to what we are used to. So many places where time as seemed to stand still--Middlegate and most of Kentucky.

Now we are in Virginia--where I feel like I could stay forever and just soak up all the history. Everyday a church from the 1700's or a battlefield. It just goes on and on.

The weather has been amazing--I rode one day in the rain but did not even wear my raincoat. Otherwise we have never ridden in the rain.

I will do the final update of the mileage and elevation gains once we finish. I have not totaled either yet-so I am as curious as you are. Any guesses on mileage and/or feet climbed? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment