Tuesday, October 19, 2010

SECOND TO THE LAST DAY-ONE OF MY FAVORITE

The 2nd to last day of riding-and surprisingly it turned out to be one of my favorite. Nancy and I set out in comfortable temperatures with somewhat busy traffic--but we were following the Richmond Civil War Battles Trail. What a wonderful treat. The first battle we stopped at had two deers waiting for us. Then we moved on to Cold Harbor.


The riding was slow as every two miles or so we had to stop to read about another battle on that exact sight.

Finally the route we were to ride on had a sign DETOUR!! the road is closed. So what to do. Of course just go ahead. I called Nancy and told her to wait up at the main road and I went ahead to see if we could get thru. After going thru 5 road blockades, climbing over a guard rail and walking thru the brush carrying the bike I was thru the Detour. I called Nancy and had her come on thru. While waiting I rode to the top of the hill and came upon the battlefield of Malvern Hill. I stood where the confederate troops stood waiting to advance into certain death with the trees behind me and the open fields aheads.

When Nancy arrived we rode up the rest of the hill to the site of the Union artillery. There they still stood. Standing there you see the battlefield exactly as it was in 1862--the trees, houses and fields exactly as they were and the cannon still in place. And all of this with no one around as the roads in are blocked.


Malvern Hill Battle Site


That certainly was one of the highlights of the trip for me. The day continued part of it on a off road bike path--where I saw another groundhog. Finally the day ended at a wonderful camp on the banks of the Chickohomony River right where it joins the James River. Two massive rivers joining as one. It was amazing.
Chickahominy River not far from Richmond, VA where it begins
Chickahominy River a few hundred yards from where it intercepts with the James River

No comments:

Post a Comment