Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12, 2010 - Fort Chiswell to Christiansburg, VA

Today was a fairly short (about 45 miles) day, but not as easy as I had anticipated.  For some reason I thought we were done with any climbing for the next couple of days - wrong!  We rode from Fort Chiswell (where the RV park was) to Christiansburg, VA.  For the most part we had a lot of up and down hills that weren't too bad.  However, in Radford, VA we hit a hill that was a real whopper!  Dana made it to the top but I couldn't - it was way too steep!  Initially I couldn't unclip my shoes from my pedals so ended up riding over to some grass so that I could fall on it rather than the pavement; fortunately, when I got on the grass I was able to unclip so I didn't fall; I then proceeded to walk the rest of the way up the hill.  So much for a nice easy day!

Tonight we are staying in Salem, VA (Fran picked us up in the car in Christiansburg).  The RV park is located at Dixie Cavern.  Dana and I toured the cavern (almost a private tour as there were only 2 other people with us) and thought it was a great afternoon diversion.

We have only 5 more days of biking before we reach our destination, Yorktown, VA.  It will seem odd not to get on the bike every day, but I must say I'm looking forward to not riding for at least a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy: We'll be in Virginia in 2 days! (14th) Great if we could hook up! lost your e-mail will try the phone.

    ReplyDelete