Monday, October 4, 2010

September 28, 2010 - Not Reading the Map Cost Me This Time!

Today started out as a hilly but beautiful morning in the Missouri countryside - still with lots of hills.  In the early afternoon we crossed the bridge over the Mississippi River into Chester, Illinois.
Bridge Across the Mississippi
Welcome Signs into Illinois and the town of Chester (Home of Popeye)
We were riding into Murphysboro, Illinois that evening and had a choice between two routes.  Dana and Lisa decided on the hilly route with less traffic, and I decided to ride the busier route along the Mississippi River.  I'm really glad I chose the latter.  It was very busy with coal truck for the first 6 or 7 miles but then the traffic became almost non-existent.  It was a beautiful route except for the coal plant (however it was interesting to watch the coal being transported to a barge on the river).


Field of Sunflowers near Murphysboro, IL
Unfortunately, my lack of map reading skills punished me.  I managed to turn the wrong direction about 70 miles into the ride.  By the time I reached Murphysboro Lake State Park where everyone was camped I ended up having ridden 100.41 miles - a LONG day!

No comments:

Post a Comment