Thursday, August 5, 2010

3 Days 151 miles

I realized as I was writing the previous blogpost that we each have a different perspective on a day's ride.  So, please take a look to see who is actually posting the blog as that may make a big difference on the view you get of this ride.

In the previous blog I wrote about the Glendale to Powers bike route which we rode starting at Powers, OR.  I gave statistics but never really described the scenery.  This is a beautiful ride through the Siskiyou mountains.  We rode almost to the top of Mt. Bolivar (none of us took the time - or had the energy! - to hike up to the top, which is probably too bad as I don't think it is very far).  We ran into 3 cyclists coming from Glendale and only a few vehicles in 55 miles.  This is a tough, tough ride but really beautiful. 

Wednesday, August 3 was supposed to be easier, and I think from some of the other rider's perspectives it was, but not from mine!  We rode 63 miles from Azalea to Medford Oaks RV Park east of Eagle Point, OR (Eagle Point is about 10 miles east of Medford.  For the most part we followed one of Cycle Oregon's routes from last year's ride.  The first part of the ride was really beautiful.  We rode up around a reservoir then dropped down for awhile before starting another ascent to over 3000 feet (we started at about 1500 feet).  It was starting to get hot but his ride was basically pretty pleasant, especially when there was some shade.  When we got to the top Dana's grandson Sam rode down on his bike to greet us (Fran's mom had brought us more water as there really was no place over about 50 miles to fill our containers).  He was a welcome site because we were sure the hardest part of the day was over!  After taking a brief rest we headed down a wonderful long descent of several miles - this was the best part of the ride!  It went through beautiful forest land and was fairly shady.  At the end of the descent the whole terrain changed, and by now it was afternoon.  We were out of the forest and into the valley which had very few trees.  The temperature reached about 100 degrees Farenheit and the sun was beating down on us.  Also, we seemed to still be doing a lot of climbing.  I checked my altimeter and it shows that we ascended 5000 feet that day and descended 4500 feet.  I did okay with the climbing but the heat and sun really got to me.  Also, I was almost out of water and trying to ration what I had.  Gale stuck with me and was quite concerned.  We finally came across a business (Southern Oregon Sanitation) and stopped and asked for water.  The people in there were WONDERFUL!  They gave us cold bottles of water, had us sit in the air conditioning for awhile and let me use the sink in the restroom to pour cold water over my head.  They also gave us directions to the shortest way to the RV Park.  I was somewhat revived and we finsihed the ride ok.  Coming from the coast I really do not deal with the heat very well especially when exerting a lot of energy.  Steve and I went out to dinner that evening and when I still wasn't getting a "second wind" I decided it would be best for me not to do the 40 mile ride the next day to Rocky Point Resort. 

My not riding on Thursday was a good decision.  Dana is still going strong but Lisa and Gale were really tired after the ride to Rocky Point.  I am feeling much better after an easy day and plan on getting up early tomorrow to head for Bly.  It is supposed to be cooler and I figure that getting an early start will help me beat the heat.  I do not want to be riding again in 100 degree weather with no shade or water!

No comments:

Post a Comment