Tuesday, August 31, 2010

TWO BEAUTIFUL DAYS IN COLORADO

After our first day in Colorado--yuck--things made a turn for the better. On Monday-Dana and Lisa rode 40 miles up past Rico. What a fantastic beautiful ride. 40 miles of gradual climbing following the Doloros River up the entire way with a smooth road surface.
Just as we entered Rico rain came for 10 minutes-but we were able to get under cover. We heard that the rain had followed us up the road but missed us and had been up ahead but ended before we arrived.
Leaving town I heard a high pitched bark--I had been hearing it on and off all during the last few days. Finally I decided I had to stop. I looked over and saw a mound with 5 marmots sunning themselves just looking at me. I spent a few minutes just talking to the little critters. I thought at the time they were giant prarie dogs--but they were actually marmots. Now marmots and Prarie Dogs tie for my favorite critters.
We camped in a forest service camp with electricity in a beautiful location.

The next day we finished our climb over Lizard Head Pass. 10,222 feet. Easiest climb you would ever wish for. I got up to the summit ate something and then decided to ride back down and come up with Nancy. The descent was fast but the road surface was bad but it was an easy day into Placerville. We had time to enjoy two fantastic meals and also go to Telluride and ride the free Gondola.
Dana on top of Lizard Head Pass

Lizard Head

No comments:

Post a Comment