Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thank you Dana! Rest Day in Fernley, Nevada

A few days ago I wrote about the problems I had on Drews Rd. in Sprague River, OR and how, at a minimum my wheel was thrown out of "true" and my rear brake had to be totally readjusted, and that we were concerned my frame may have cracked.  Today was our first official rest day and we were close to Reno, so Dana and I decided to take my bike into a Trek dealer to be inspected.  It didn't take the mechanic 30 seconds to decide the frame was cracked.  Dana took over and managed to have Trek agree to replace the frame and have a new one sent to St. George, UT where we will have a "new" bike (my components which are fairly new put on the new frame) assembled and ready for me when we leave Zion. 

So, how am I going to get to Utah from Fernley, Nevada?  Well... I thought Dana was going a bit overboard when she decided to bring a second bike along on the trip.  I guess I was wrong, because I will be able to ride Dana's second bike until I can pick up the new one.  Thank you Dana!!!!

Half of our rest day was spent dealing with the bike issue.  The rest of the day Dana, her mom Fran, my husband Steve, and I had massages then went out to dinner with our whole group, including Gale's husband Haru, and Fran's friend Susie.  Gale had only planned on riding as far as Fernley and Haru picked her up here to return to Oregon.  We will really miss Gale!  While we were out dealing with the bike and getting a massage Gale and Lisa hung around the RV park (the Desert Rose, Fernley - a very nice park).  Lisa did ride her bike to Walmart to do some shopping.

It was nice to have a break, but I think we are all ready to set off tomorrow for Middlegate - don't look for it on a map because it's not there.  It's an old stage coach shop that is now a motel, restaurant and general stopping place for travelers on Highway 50, "the loneliest road in America".

No comments:

Post a Comment