Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Dentist and the Bike

After two days with my bike working perfectly today it started causing me problems again.  It dropped the chain from the middle to the small ring; it really took me by surprise; I had no traction and was suddenly and unexpectedly spinning, and I managed to fall - only had a scraped elbow.  I also (again!) couldn't get into the big ring and at times couldn't shift into the "granny" ring.  I decided after 24 miles that I better not continue riding.  The 24 miles I did ride were spectacular though.

When we got into Torrey, UT (next to Coral Reef National Park) I went to an Back Country Outfitters (http://www.ridethereef.com/)  that Adventure Cycling said did some minor repairs to bikes.  I knew my repair was minor (I was pretty sure the problem had something to do with the new shifter cable and that it had probably stretched, but my efforts at tightening it with the barrel adjuster had not worked).  The owner said the mechanic was on vacation.  However, he said I should go to Tooth Ranch about 7 miles up the road and talk to Scott the dentist; that he raced all over the USA and was a terrific mechanic.  So, I went to Tooth Ranch.  Sure enough Scott lived up to his reputation, said my cable had both stretched and slipped, and fixed everything including adjusting the limit screws.  When I tried to pay him he just said come see him if I need a root canal!

This evening Steve and I had a great dinner at the Cafe Diablo (http://www.cafediablo.net/) which the man at Back Country Outfitters told us had been named best restaurant in Utah twice in recent years.  Steve said his trout was the best trout he'd ever had.  And, our deserts were heavenly.  They even make their own ice cream.  I had chai tea ice cream which was "to die for" along with a pear torte.

After dinner Steve and I drove through Coral Reef National Park.  With the full moon it was spectacular!


Moon Rising in Coral Reef National Park

Tomorrow should be a great ride through Coral Reef National Park.  I am positive my bike won't fail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment